Is Childhood Trauma a Life Sentence? Really?
A 10-day Choose Again workshop in Costa Rica
With Diederik Wolsak RPC, MPCP
With Diederik Wolsak RPC, MPCP
June 6-16, 2022
US $3,750 per person - including follow up sessions
In the twenty five plus years Choose Again has helped people overcome the crippling effects of childhood trauma we have learned that mainstream therapy considers trauma a lasting diagnosis: "You are not meant to 'recover' from trauma, you are going to have to learn to cope."
Not so. Over and over we have helped our clients to achieve the unthinkable: an interpretation of a childhood vastly different from the one they remember. Yes, people did things, said things that should never be said or done to anyone let alone a child. And, yet, so many of us had a traumatic childhood, including most of our staff.
Join our senior staff for a 10 day intensive workshop specifically designed to help you overcome the chronic anxiety, fear and crippling shame associated with childhood trauma. There will be a very small number of participants (no more than 12) so each participant will have ample opportunity to deeply process and finally emerge from an ancient hell.
The impact of this ten-day workshop will be amplified by a follow-up series of six online circles exclusively for workshop participants. These weekly group therapy sessions are designed to help you strengthen your resolve and to deepen your willingness to process. The peer support that develops in these circles is invaluable: a group of people who know what you are talking about; a group of people who do not judge you but see the truth in you regardless of your story.
You will learn...
● How to uncover and work through childhood trauma, including all ACES (Adverse Childhood Experiences)
● To recognize how childhood trauma is the source of repeated patterns in your life
● How to discover your essential and inherent agency and get out of the mindset of victimhood and blame (of self and others)
● Why you may have a fear of intimacy or believe you are unworthy of love
● Why you continue to be sad long after the event that seems to have caused it
● Why you might feel like you're walking on eggshells all the time
● Why jealousy poisons your intimate relationships time and time again
● And many other presenting symptoms of trauma
An ideal healing environment
This will be a small, intimate workshop with maximum 12 participants and dedicated team of highly-trained support staff.
In this safe and healing environment, you will learn how to finally move beyond your negative patterns and claim your birthright: a rich and full life.
Diederik Wolsak will teach you how to undo the limiting beliefs that now drive your life through a very deep healing process we call the Six Steps to Freedom process.
● Daily small-group processing circles led by Diederik Wolsak and senior Choose Again facilitators
● Several holotropic breathwork sessions
● Daily yoga and meditation
● Intensive study and reflection sessions
● Fresh, healthy meals enjoyed as a group
● Walks in the rainforest and swims in the lake
● An optional digital detox - leave your electronics in our safe, and get the most out of your time
● Evening gratitude practice
Diederik is the founder and program director of Choose Again. Diederik’s journey started in 1942 on the island of Java, Indonesia. He spent the first three years of his life in Japanese concentration camps. Many of his core beliefs were developed during that early, potentially traumatic phase. At age 8 he was sent to a foster home in Holland and by the time he rejoined his parents and brothers two years later he was filled with self-hatred and fear of the world around him. This self-hatred, fear and guilt translated into prolonged alcohol and drug abuse till finally at age 50 he reached that point where he realized that there had to be a better way or there would be no point in continuing. While his self-hatred drove him to be a successful businessman and international athlete, it allowed him little joy.
Following the fork in the road where something had to change, Diederik entered upon a spiritual path of deep healing. This path eventually led to a fulfilling career as counsellor in private practice. He is a masterful therapist. Every client recognizes immediately that they are being trained to become independent of their counsellor, that they are worthy of respect and that they have their own answers. Diederik is there to assist in finding and removing all blocks to happiness and peace in a most gentle and loving way. Clients also sense that Diederik has been in many of the dark places they see in themselves; he has personal knowledge of deep depression and substance abuse. He has personal experience of what they are going through and has largely transformed his life. However, he will be the first to tell you: “I am a work in progress.”
Diederik is the founder and program director of the Choose Again Attitudinal Healing Centre. He is the lead facilitator of both the Vancouver and Costa Rica arms of the organization. He is an international workshop leader, public speaker and relationship counsellor with years of experience in group facilitation.